My Green Blog

Follow the link and see my green blog!
http://greenshannonmarie.blogspot.com/

March 7, 2010

Herbs Herbs Herbs

One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides.
~ W.E. Johns


Today was a 50 degree day in Bemidji. While shopping with Cole I got the gardening itch...
I decided it was still too early to start my seedlings for the summer but convinced myself it is never to early (or late) to start an herb garden! So while Cole was looking at the flower packets and vegetable packets we'll purchase later in the spring I looked over the herbs.
There were many choices but I decided to stick with herbs I knew I would use:
cilantro, sweet basil, garlic chives and and parsley.
Also, in my random love for cooking I have realized that it would be useful to have fresh herbs and that these would be a great addition to the decoration of my house.
I am getting ansty for spring so my new herb garden adventure will also tide over my need for shoveling the snow away from my garden patch and planting while the ground is still frozen...
~
My seeds were nestled in matching baby blue planters with a few rocks and dirt. They are covered for the next few weeks with plastic wrap to speed up the growing process. I do not like the looks of them but the mini-greenhouse-effect will do wonders for their progress!
The only problem I ran into this afternoon after planting was remembering which herb was in which container! I didn't have anything small enough to write on and 'plant' in the dirt with the seeds, so like usual I improvised in my own Shannonesque way...

I did some digging in my craft supplies and to my amazement I found tiny colored pencils which have never been used!! So... each herb has its own little pencil to not only help remember who is who but to become part of their little habitat.

PARSLEY

SWEET BASIL

CILANTRO
I hope my little herbs grow big and healthy in the weeks/months to come.
Cole will be my official water-kid and we'll enjoy watching them sprout!
I just hope I picked herbs that kitty isn't going to want to much on...

No comments: